Monday, January 5, 2009

Dreams & Goals

I have always made a list of things I would like to do each year. Things that are finite, and therefore easily turned into a goal. Some things are on the list for a few years before they come into fruition. Those are what I refer to as dreams.

For instance, a few years ago (I found it a few days ago) I had the following things on my list...
$10G in savings
Have a baby
Enter a figure contest
Repaint the Kitchen
Run a half marathon

I have since done all of them but... the contest and the half!

SOOOOO for this year...

Goals:
Run a half Marathon
Attack my inner critic
Regain the confidence that I had the day I married

Dreams:
Start researching adoption options
Enter a figure competition
Earn my personal training certificate

So, let me attack those dreams... one I think that I should actually make my goal, is the figure contest. We are not planning on having any more kids for at least another two years, and nothing is really going on in our lives that would interfere with it. The only reason that it is a dream... I just don't have the mental conviction that I can do it. You know? I hate to fail, I FEAR failure... so unless I have the internal, severely intense, burning fire, then I just don't bother. Guess I will just keep that picture (me in a bikini on stage) in the forefront of my head and bring it that much closer to a reality. I have wanted to do it for the last 10 years... it is about time I get to it!
As for the other two.. I just need to make the time. That is the only thing holding me back. I am in prayer about adoption, and so is Sweet Love. The personal training thing... I have the $600 worth of curriculum in my friggen closet! Sheesh.

Now for the goals... I am so ready to run that half! Tomorrow is my first day of training. I might have a hard time sleeping just thinking about it! haha! Pretty sure I am not going to have a hard time keeping that up! I just need to make sure I don't get sick!!!! I do have a MUCH better running base under me this year than I had last year so that should really help me.

Ok, the next goal. I hesitated on writing it down. It is not really finite. It is something that I will be working on for the rest of my life... forever. I do know how I will be working on it, some of those things I will highlight here... others will be just for me to know about. One of the things I have already been working on for over a month, is really forging a relationship with Christ. That is something I feel I lost when I had a miscarriage too long ago. It is high time that I put my Lord and Savior back to first place in my life. I will also say that I learned a LOT while chasing that dream of 100 miles. That thing that Bill Phillips says about honoring self promises has some real merit! (He is often a little too New Age for me.)

The last one... not sure I have the faith for it, but I do think that with honoring my self promise of running a half marathon, and daily battling my inner critic as I walk closer and closer with the Lord, it will happen. Maybe not this year, but soon.

Guess it is time for me to go to bed now. I am SO sore from my leg workout this morning! And I get to run 4 miles tomorrow! That will be hard to start out with, but I know by the time I get home, I will feel so much better! I love running and lifting weights!

1 comment:

Laura said...

You know I've been praying for you on one of those goals. Which is the one thing that will get you to finish the others.
If it is something you really want to do "time" will not get in the way. un